Monday, January 23, 2012

New York Cheesecake

You really can spend your whole life getting to know someone. Keith has been on my radar for longer than I care to admit and for the most part, I think I have him pegged. I know his routines, his habits (good and bad) and his sore spots. I know how to avoid a fight, even when I'm picking one.  That said...every once in a while, he surprises me.

His reaction to this cheesecake was a complete and total surprise. 

In the time we have been together, I have never made a cheesecake. This is because before a week ago, I can't recall Keith ever mentioning that he absolutely LOVES cheessecake. 

It all started like this: We were engaging in our usual weeknight activity of late...that is to say, watching pvr'd television. A food show segment featuring New York Cheesecake, to be exact. Keith started bemoaning the fact that there is NOWHERE to get authentic New York cheesecake in our neck of the woods - so I half-heartedly offered to make him one. He seemed pretty dubious that I would be able to do it...so suddenly, finding the perfect recipe became my mission.

After combing through recipes and watching videos for a week, combining elements from a few promising recipes, I came up with this and decided to give it a shot.

Keith LOVES this cake.

I mean...LOVES it. 

Even more than cinnamon buns. Seriously, who knew?

New York Cheesecake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Graham Cracker Crust

2 cups (200 grams) of graham cracker crumbs 
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
1/2 cup (114 grams) unsalted butter, melted

Combine the cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press the mixture evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan. Place in the refrigerator while you make the filling.

Filling

4 (8 ounce) packages of softened, full-fat cream cheese
1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
zest of one lemon and 1/2 an orange
2 large eggs (room temperature)
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream 

On low speed, blend together the cream cheese, cornstarch and sugar (one package of cheese at a time) until smooth. Increase speed to med-high and add vanilla and zest. Add eggs, one at a time and blend well. Turn the mixer back down to low (Do not over-mix at this point, it's more about blending.) Spoon filling into graham crust and place the pan in a baking sheet with about 1/2 an inch of water in it. Bake on middle rack for 55-60 minutes. Cake is ready when the outer edges are firm but the middle is still soft and a bit jiggly. Remove from heat and cool on a wire rack for an hour. Then cover with plastic and refrigerate until well-cooled. (Over-night is best.) Remove from springform pan and plate.


It's not often I make something and firm up a recipe on my first try. Usually, I have to modify and tweak at least a few versions before I'm happy. This is one recipe I am not changing. Not one bit. It's creamy and smooth and not too sweet with a pretty heavy hit of citrus. Victory is mine.

No comments: