Friday, April 22, 2011

Napa Valley Barbeque Chicken

Much to Keith's chagrin, I am going to use the second-most mocked and dreaded cooking ingredient in this vintage recipe from "the box". Ketchup. This is topped only by the first-most mocked and dreaded cooking ingredient...mushroom soup. In my house, any recipe that includes either of these ingredients is subject to scorn before it even makes it to the stove-top or oven.

In spite of the spate of "trailer-park cookin'" jibes that will most certainly be coming my way at the dinner table this evening, my palate (and my heart) are craving a dish that I ate frequently with my mom...it was one of her famous default dinners. For some reason, I have never attempted to make it, in spite of the fact that I really like it...so tonight, as it was so many years ago, Napa Valley Barbeque Chicken (ketchup and all) will hit the table with plain, long-grain white rice and corn on the cob...

The base recipe was clipped from what I can only assume was the "Lethbridge Herald", but as with all things "Winnie" it has been modified somewhat to suit her palate.

About 2 lbs fryer quality chicken - dip cut pieces into beaten egg

Shake into mixture of 1/4 cup flour - 1 tsp paprika - 3/8 tsp salt - 1/8 tsp pepper

Brown chicken in 1/4 cup butter - set aside

Mix 1 cup KETCHUP, 1/2 cup of cooking sherry (Mom ALWAYS used Harvey's Bristol Cream), 1/3 cup water, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 medium minced onion, 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce, 2 Tbsp melted butter and 1 Tbsp brown sugar into a pan. (There's a side-note on the recipe that reads "2 Tbsp tried, but it doesn't say whether or not it improved the flavour...you will have to decide by yourself.)

Bring sauce ingredients to a boil and pour over browned chicken in flat dish or casserole - bake covered 1 1/4 hours at 325 Farenheit.

No comments: