Sunday, October 30, 2011

Herb and Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin

The last of my herbs are on death row. In spite of the fact that I have done everything I can to save them...most of my lush green summer bounty has perished. I still have a few of my most cherished pots up on the deck and under the table cloth, it's only a matter of time. 
It's just not possible to have a living garden in Edmonton at the end of October. The fact that I still have a few living herbs is actually nothing short of miraculous. 
With the understanding that this is likely to be my final garden herb dinner of the season, I solemnly cut a few bunches of fresh thyme, rosemary and sage. What I really want is to carry my pots into the house and keep them all winter long but we've played that game before and sooner or later (usually sooner) I forget to bring them in or I just get too lazy to carry them in and out and they are flash-frozen and dead by morning.
This is a Bobby Flay masterpiece and I give him full credit. For Sunday dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy (made from the drippings) and dill carrots, you can't go wrong. Even if you have to buy over-priced fresh herbs.


Bacon-Herb Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
1 head garlic, top sliced off
2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 pork tenderloins (about 1 to 1 1/2 pound each) trimmed of excess fat
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • 12 fresh sage leaves
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 12 (1/4-inch thick) slices bacon
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Place garlic in a small ramekin, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and wrap in foil. Bake until soft, about 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic flesh from head into a small bowl.
Arrange tenderloins on work surface. Rub the top each tenderloin with 1/2 of the roasted garlic and season with salt and pepper. Mix together the herbs and scatter half of the mix over the garlic on each tenderloin. Wrap 6 strips of bacon around each tenderloin and tie bacon in place with kitchen twine.
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat oil in a medium, skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the tenderloins until golden brown on all sides. Transfer seared tenderloins to medium roasting pan; place in the oven and cook to medium doneness about 8 to 10 minutes. 
Transfer tenderloins to cutting board and let stand 10 minutes. Remove twine before carving. I only had one tenderloin in the freezer so I had to modify but for two of us, that's plenty. I usually do make two and freeze one for an easy supper or amazing pork sandwiches.
I cooked this a bit longer than recommended because I prefer my pork well done. It's still moist and tender and even better with pan gravy.
















No comments: