Saturday, November 12, 2011

Banana Almond Bread and the Barbados Diet

If you've noticed that I'm not blogging as frequently (and I like to think you have) it's because Keith and I are on "The Barbados Diet". For the record, this is NOT a medically sound weight loss program but rather a frantic, last-minute attempt to pare down before we have to get into our bathing suits in public. Keith is always a bit more dramatic than I am, so his diet consists of little more than lettuce leaves and water. Mine just eliminates my most favourite foods. In an effort to stay the course...I have all but ceased kitchen activity. It just makes it easier.
Lauryn and Jude are coming today and I can't force them to eat corn cakes and cottage cheese, so I am going to drive myself crazy and bake them banana bread.
To add insult to injury, today was also the first snowfall of the season so I'm feeling semi-suicidal and the smell of baking might just give me a reason to live. (Even if I can't partake.)
This recipe makes two loaves of moist, nutty banana bread. I'll send the house-bombs home with the remaining loaf tomorrow afternoon so I don't have to live with the temptation. 


Banana Almond Bread
Lightly butter two loaf pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 sticks of butter (1 cup) at room temperature
2 cups of sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups  mashed, ripe bananas
1 cup sour cream
1 cup slivered almonds
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda and add to butter mixture until incorporated. Add bananas, sour cream and almonds, stirring until just combined. Pour into buttered loaf pans and bake for approximately 70 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow bread to rest for 10 minutes before turning out onto racks to cool. 

Usually content to play inside, Lauryn couldn't WAIT to get outside to play in the snow. She asked until I relented. I reluctantly dressed her up in boots and snowpants, assuming she would ask to come back inside after about 10 minutes. I was wrong. She quietly and contentedly pushed snow around the yard and made this happy little snowman for me! 

No comments: