Friday, September 16, 2011

Baked French Onion Soup

Everything about the end of summer makes me a little cranky. Especially the people who love this time of year. I don't like sweaters, scarves or boots...I'm a sandals and skirts and sunglasses kind of girl.

There are very few things that give my soul comfort when the leaves begin to fall but a hot bowl of soup is one of them. There are a couple of other little joys, like tea with brandy and Thanksgiving...but from now until the snow actually flies, I'm just going to be...out of sorts.

French onion soup is the quintessential comfort food...and...it's really, really simple to make. It takes a little while to prepare...but IT'S COLD OUTSIDE...so, who cares? I love the layers of flavour...sweet, savoury and salt...and it's hearty enough to serve as a meal.

There are two secrets to success with this recipe. Take your time...you can't rush the process...and buy good sherry and wine. Don't scrimp. You just won't get the same results.

I made this soup late at night and left the camera out for Keith to take a picture after he made himself a bowl...he works late and usually eats after I go to bed. I trust Keith with all things kitchen and all things visual so I was a teensy bit surprised when I got up in the morning to find this photo waiting on the camera...


Seriously? I couldn't help but mock just a little bit about his lack of "food styling" expertise...

French Onion Soup 

A fresh french baguette for croutons

Approximately 5 lbs yellow onions, peeled and sliced into rings

½ lb butter (2 sticks) I use salted butter but you can use unsalted if you prefer.

2 bay leaves

½ cup Harvey’s Bristol Cream

1½ cups dry red wine (a good chianti)

2 litres beef stock (home-made or reduced sodium)

Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large stock pot. Add bay leaves and onions.
















Sauté until onions are caramelized and are golden brown in colour.
















Add sherry to de-glaze pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the red wine simmer for a few more minutes. Then add broth and simmer for an hour until reduced and soup is rich and dark.
As with most things savoury, this soup is good when it's first cooked but the tastes mature over-night in the fridge.

Cheese Topping

Grate and mix:

250 grams of Emmental
200 grams of Mozzarella
200 grams of Gruyere
100 grams of Parmesan Reggiano

Pour hot soup into oven-safe bowls and add the croutons. (Generously.)
















Cover with grated cheese (also generously) and place under the broiler until cheese is brown and bubbly. Serve.

















This, by the way, is Keith's second attempt at food artistry...I woke up this morning to find a whole series of great photos on the camera...the last one made me laugh out loud...nice touch!


:)






4 comments:

Teresa Walsh said...

This soup is fantastic! Tom loved it and Angie saved the day by bringing over her mandolin so I could slice the onions. I owe her a pot.

CRS said...

Thanks, Theresa...Keith loves it, too! I can't believe Angie saved the day in anyone's kitchen...but...miracles do happen! LOL.

I genuinely appreciate you support!

Teresa Walsh said...

Thanksgiving is coming........Mushrooms in Cream Sauce?

CRS said...

Yep...in anticipation of Thanksgiving, the post is ready...just have to cook them and take a couple of photos...it will be up on Saturday!