Sunday, September 25, 2011

Potato Leek and Bacon Soup

Yesterday was a PERFECT autumn day. Not a cloud in the sky...no wind...an absolutely glorious afternoon. Seriously. It was almost surreal. The leaves were actually gently floating to the ground.
I think the entire city was out enjoying it... Keef and I went for a 10k walk/run (with a LOT more walking than running) in the river valley. Every hill we crested and every corner we rounded held yet another spectacular view. When we got home I was STARVING and promptly nuked and ate three pieces of left-over pizza (and a brownie). I lost my inspiration for pot roast immediately thereafter and decided to make  soup and sandwiches for Keith's late night supper. I went looking for a couple of cans of chicken haddy, because I really wanted to make a big pot of my Mom's "Good Catholics Still Eat Fish on Fridays Chowder". No such luck. I have two or three clipped recipes in the recipe box because it really was a staple and Lord knows, she didn't want to forget how to make it. She even noted how much the tins cost (there must have been a sharp rise in the price of chicken haddy in 1983).

Truth be told, I  detested everything about this soup. When I was young, you couldn't force me to eat fish (even with the promise of eternal salvation) and the smell of the chowder simmering on the stove used to send me straight to the fridge for hot dogs.
Keith loves fish soup and I keep threatening to make a pot for him but in spite of my best efforts, it was not to be. I haven't seen a can of chicken haddy since I left home and the lady at Safeway who helped me look for it said, "It should be here because I know my friend feeds it to her cats". Not necessarily the best endorsement for the fish.


So...I had cream, leeks, shallots, potatoes, bacon and a garden full of fresh herbs...but no chicken haddy. What follows is my recipe for leek, shallot, potato and bacon chowder. :)

Leek and Potato Chowder


5 medium sized yukon gold or yellow potatoes
2 leeks
2 shallots
2 green onions
4-6 cloves of garlic
1 large stalk of celery
6 or 7 slices of thick, smoked bacon
4 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups whole cream
1/2 cup whole milk
2 bay leaves
fresh thyme and parsley
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter

Soft-fry the bacon, chop roughly and set aside.
Mince the garlic and chop the leeks, shallots, celery and the bottoms of the green onions. (Reserve the tops for later.)
Heat a stockpot and add butter, olive oil, leeks, shallots, celery, green onion and garlic.  Sautee until soft. Finely chop the thyme leaves and parsley. Peel and slice potatoes.
Add cream, chicken stock, bay leaves, bacon and chopped herbs and potatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender. Roughly mash the potatoes when cooked to release the starch and create a thick, chunky consistency. Finely chop the green onion tops...sprinkle on the soup and serve. You will note that I forgot the onions in the picture...
If you prefer a  less "rustic" soup,  you can use a bouquet garni for the herbs and puree with an immersion blender. I prefer it this way.

Today, by the way, is another perfect, late September day. Thank God I have leftover soup.

No comments: