Saturday, September 10, 2011

Late-summer greens...

This is the time of year that all my friends with gardens start showing up with bags of kale, chard and beet greens. Much as I love them,  I can't face the green blob on my plate every night for a week. Let's face it, North Americans haven't been very inventive with greens despite the fact that every garden from Brownsville to Inuvik is full of them in late summer.  If there is one culture that knows what to do with greens, it's the Greeks. I have been lucky enough to be adopted by the most amazing Greek family. They own a small,  import food store/deli in Edmonton (Hellas Foods) where you can buy a wide range of wonderful European and Middle-eastern foods, not to mention fresh, home-made dips salads, pita chips, specialty cheeses and the most incredible hand-made Greek sweets, including the most delectable of all Greek desserts, baklava. Like all Greeks, my "family" loves to share their culture, their language and especially their hospitality. They have welcomed me into their homes and their lives. I have even been present during the creation of some of Edmonton's best-kept secret recipes. I am sworn to everlasting silence for most of them but I can share this simple, traditional  recipe for spinach and wild greens pie. Hortopita, or as Keith calls it, "Horticultural pita" is a delicious adaptation of spanakopita...I actually prefer it. The subtle flavour differences in the mixed greens and the fresh dill make it incredibly aromatic and delicious.

I say this is a "simple" recipe because I buy my phyllo dough when I visit Hellas Foods. It's one of those things I can't even imagine learning to make from scratch.  There just isn't enough time...in my world, at least.  I usually use a roll of thin pita (it also comes in a thicker version) and I buy Greek olive oil and sheep feta there as well. The rest of the ingredients are entirely up to you. Any fresh garden greens will work. Kale, spinach, dandilion greens, arugula...parsley...you name it. Each offers a slightly different flavour...use any and all that appeal to you.


Hortopita


1 roll of thin phyllo dough

Small dish of olive oil (to preference)

450-500 grams of fresh spinach leaves (washed and dried)

1 bunch of fresh swiss chard

1 bunch of fresh parsley

60 grams of chopped, fresh dill

1 bunch of chopped green onions

1 large leek cut into thin rings

500 grams of crumbled feta cheese (I use sheep feta - Dodoni is my favourite) I'm told by the experts that this is too much cheese...but I love feta. You should probably use about 350 grams if you prefer a lighter flavour and texture.

In a large bowl, (I use my turkey roaster because it's the biggest vessel I have) combine all the greens and crumbled feta. Mix well by hand until everything is evenly distributed.

Spread a little olive oil on the bottom and sides of a 9"x 13" roasting pan. Line the pan with a few sheets of phyllo (leaving an over-hang) and spread a light coating of olive oil on the dough. Add a few more sheets (I usually do two at a time) and brush with a little more oil...you get the picture... until you have at least 8 sheets of phyllo for the base of the pie.

Fill with greens and feta and cover with a couple more sheets of phyllo. Lightly brush the top with olive oil and repeat until you have at least 8 sheets again. Depending on how much you like phyllo crust, you can either roll the over-hanging dough in as is - or trim it with a pair of scissors until you have about 1" over-hang. This is what I do...it's neater and you don't get a big mouthful of pita on the outside pieces.

Lightly brush the top with...you guessed it...and score the top of the pie into 8 or 10 pieces, so it will be easier to cut (the crispy phyllo won't crumble) when it comes out of the oven. Bake at 350 until the top is a rich, golden brown. Serve hot or cold, on its own or as a side-dish. This also freezes and reheats really well.

Clearly, I need to work on my food photography :-)

My late-night kitchen lighting makes the greens look a bit like pesto...you'll have to trust me that the filling is a deep, dark green with chunks of creamy feta.






2 comments:

kimmycakes said...

Can't wait to make this!

CRS said...

It's actually very simple! Let me know how it goes.